Grocery shopping is something that we have to do, whether we like it or not, if we plan to eat, we must or someone within our household must go to the grocery store to retrieve items that we enjoy consuming. But now, when we go to the grocery store, we have be constantly on alert to what is going on around us, because where I live there have been numerous accounts of late where thieves are beginning to take something that doesn’t belong to them and thereby changing our sense of comfort into that of awareness whether inside or outside of a grocery store.
My dear friend is an avid shopper related this story to me, I thought I’d share. She shops for her family at a local well-known grocery store frequently, usually spending 45 minutes to 1-hour in the store. She meticulously walks down each aisle in search of the items that she needs to fill her basket, choosing them with great thought and anticipation for her next family meal. She like to make sure that her choices are all to her liking. Her meat choice is organic, as well as her vegetables. Her meats in particular have to be cut just right, no if, and or butts about it. After making all of her selections, she decides to stroll along to get into the checkout line after as he stops to check her list and check it twice, crossing off each item from her list. She began greeting her familiar cashier with a delightful, ” how are you doing today,” as she proceeds to opens her purse and retrieve her wallet to obtain the bills and coins to pay the cashier for the items for which she has gathered. She pays for her items, exits the store and walks to her car preparing to place her groceries inside the car as she prepares for her quick getaway to hurry home and prepare the feast, however, today was not going to be a day like any of her other shopping days. Just as she is finishing her task of putting her grocery items that she has so gathered, into her car, a man walks up and takes the stroller which includes her purse. She turns around to see her stroller being pushed away by a man she didn’t recognize, and says “oh, hell no, not today,” as she takes off in hot pursuit behind the man with her Dooney & Bourke purse in hand. As she began to chase after him, she recalls call that she needs to make some noise to draw attention, so she began to yell as loud as she could, “help, he stole my purse”, people started asking what was wrong, and she reiterated, “he stole my purse,” and they to began to run after the thief. For some reason that day she had placed some comfortable shoes on that stood up to the task. As she continue to run after the thief, he was going through her purse, took out the wallet, dropped her purse on the ground and continued running. He was soon chased down by a man in his work truck who acted as a good samaritan and pursued the thief until he was boxed in and unable to run anymore, he placed the wallet on the hood of the truck and walked off.
From the pursuers prospective:
- She wasn’t in pursuit of her purse because it was a designer purse, it was the idea that someone had taken something from her and her instinct was to try and get it back.
- She doesn’t advocate that someone take the steps that she did because truly her life is more important than a designer purse.
- She has decided to take other means of securing her valuables when shopping and that is to take a smaller type purse.
A couple of tips that I hope will help someone:
- Ladies I’ve seen many of you do this and I cringe when I see it, Don’t leave your purse in the shopping cart and turn your back to reach for or read an item you are considering purchasing.
- Try an carry a purse that you can comfortably place over your shoulder or a cross body purse so that you can know where your purse is at all time. I hope this information can be of some help to you.
Be safe and happy shopping.